A Research Study
The Smart Home Market in the UK – Summer 2018
The Smart Home market research has shown the following core themes:
- Awareness and understanding of the smart home is high
- Adoption and investment in smart technology is increasing across all demographics
- he market is still in its early stages of development, but is progressing strongly
- Different demographics still have opposing attitudes toward the future of smart technology
- There is a uncertainty and concern about the smart home and threats of hacking
- 43% of people have at least one smart product in their home – up from 27% in the previous year’s study.
- 64% of people have spent money on smart technology in the past 12 months – with 42% spending at least £100.
- 88% of consumers are expected to spend at least 10% more next year on smart technology – with the average spend expected to increase by 30%.
The study covers all age groups, genders and geographic regions to provide a concise summary of the smart home market in the United Kingdom.
- 35% of people consider the opinions of family and friends as the most important influence when purchasing smart products.
- 40% of people research smart technology for less than an hour before making a purchase.
- 62% of people are worried about the threat of smart homes being hacked.
About the report
A survey of 2000 UK adults was carried out by OnePoll, a member of ESOMAR, May 2018 on behalf of Smart Home Week.