Numbers don’t lie: The simple truth about saving energy in your home from tado°
Do you turn off the lights when you leave a room? Or when you leave your home? What about the TV and stereo? Most of us turn them off too. We do it in order to save energy. We do it because our parents taught us that it is important. Even though the importance is clear, our parents rarely looked at any numbers. So, if we really want to reduce our energy consumption, the question is: What does?
Your home’s energy consumption – in cold, hard numbers*
Preparing and cooking meals with appliances such as your oven and stove.
Lighting and Appliances: 14%
Lighting and most electrical appliances, such as TV, audio systems, computers, washing machines, dryers, etc.
Heating and Hot Water: a whopping 79%
Heating and domestic hot water are by far the biggest energy consumers in your home.
So why do we turn off our lights and electrical appliances when we don’t use them, but leave the heating running – even when nobody is home? In EU households, according to the European Commission*, just heating and hot water preparation account for 79% of your total energy usage. Even if we were to never cook and never turn on any lights or appliances, ever, we would only reduce our home’s energy consumption by around 20%. To significantly reduce your energy consumption, it’s time to look at the remaining 80%.
If you want to save energy, think about your heating first.
Fact #1: Heating and domestic hot water account for 79% of total energy use alone.
What’s the best way to reduce heating costs without freezing in winter?
Living in a comfortably warm home is a luxury, yet an essential foundation of our civilization. Extended exposure to low temperatures can carry health risks as well as being utterly uncomfortable. While freezing cold temperatures at home may work for a few, it isn’t an option for most of us. Heating is essential, but wouldn’t it be great to ensure the heating is off when we’ve left our home? The same way we turn off the lights or the TV, but thereby making a significant reduction in the energy you use?
One of the reasons why some are hesitant to turn off their heating system is because it reacts slowly. It is understandable to not want to return to a cold home, only to have to wait for the heating to warm it up. Fortunately, there are numerous ingenious solutions to reduce the energy needed to heat your home. But what about their efficiency, and therefore Return on Investment?
Energy efficiency measures by comparison
How fast does it pay off?
Loft insulation: 20 years
Pays for itself in 20 years – investment cost: £316 – savings potential: 2.6% **
Energy efficient boiler: 45 years
Pays for itself in 45 years – investment cost: £2,632 – savings potential: 9.2% **
Double glazing: 46 years
Pays for itself in 46 years – investment cost: £4,738 – savings potential: 16.3% **
External solid wall insulation: 51 years
Pays for itself in 51 years – investment cost: £5,524 – savings potential: 17% **
Internal solid wall insulation: 96 years
Pays for itself in 96 years – investment cost: £10,396 – savings potential: 17% **
tado° Smart Thermostat: 1 year
Pays for itself in 1 year – investment cost: £199 – savings potential: 31% ***
Fact #2: Why invest time and money on big refurbishment projects? The simplest way to save energy is a Smart Thermostat.
When you think about how to reduce your energy consumption at home, the first thing that probably comes to mind is an elaborative refurbishment project. Whether it’s insulation, an energy efficient boiler, or double glazed windows, there are many options available. But these often require a lot of work and can have poor cost/benefit ratios, which can make these options unattractive to the majority of homeowners.
The tado° Smart Thermostat, however, enables you to significantly reduce your energy consumption, with minimal effort. With its intelligent Skills such as Geofencing, the Smart Schedule, and Open -Window -Detection, it saves energy whilst enhancing your comfort. So why spend your time and hard-earned money on a big refurbishment project, when the smartest solution happens to be the quickest, the least expensive, and the easiest to implement? It’s the simplest way to save energy.
How much energy can you save with tado°? Calculate your savings here.
** Content for UK market provided by Ecuity (Sources: DECC (2015), ECO Impact Assessement)
*** Savings are based on an analysis of the current customer base. In addition a scientific study conducted by the Fraunhofer Institute for Building Physics (IBP, Holzkirchen, Germany) proved an energy savings potential of between 14% and 26% depending on the scenario considered. It is showed that the greatest factor determining savings is with presence detection and savings of up to 24% could be achieved. In addition to the presence detection further savings of up to 7% could be achieved due to the weather forecast function. The study can be downloaded here.